James Larvin

Post 1 – Group Allocation (02/02/2018)

This week we were given our roles, allocated groups and given the script we would be working with. On the morning we read through the first page of all the scripts so those who had not already done so could get to know the seven different scripts. I already had looked through the scripts so I had an idea of which I would like to work with. The scripts have been written by master’s students at a London university on a scriptwriting course. On the whole I thought they were good as we were informed that most of the writers hadn’t written for radio before.

When it came to allocating roles, I had an interest in becoming a studio manager. A studio manager is responsible for technical delivery of the production, runs the recording and editing sessions and is responsible for sourcing props and sound effects. I’m quite a technical person so I thought this role suited me best and I’m also a competent editor. What I haven’t done before and aim to learn through this module is record in a large studio where the aim is to create a specific space in the mind of the listener through sound.

I was surprised that when it came to showing our interest as a group in team roles that there was a shortage of studio managers, this did however mean that I was given the position of studio manager. I was then also assigned to a group with a producer, director, script editor and production co-ordinator. In the group we were asked which three scripts we were most interested in producing. As I had already read them I was able to contribute to the decision of us been allocated the drama titled “Coffinated”, my primary choice. I look forward to working with my team next week and will read the script thoroughly this week.

Post 2 – Pre-Production (09/02/2018)

This week we gathered and had a first read of the script together. We went through it and highlighted a few areas where changes may have to be made in order for it to sound right as a radio drama. As studio manager I was considering the different locations in the script, the specific sfx needed and props needed for the recording. In the pre-production stage it is not my role to intervein too much,  however I did give my thouhts on the logistics of elements of the production.

It has been confirmed that we will have a three-hour slot two week from now to record our audio for the drama. Over the next week I need to consider sourcing sound effects, recording atmos tacks and sourcing props for out test recording next Friday morning. I am working with the team to pick three scenes that are set in different locations for the test recording. This will hopefully allow me to work to develop the setup of the studio and location of the microphone in relation to the actors and props. I want to come out of the test recording confident for the real recording the week after as we only have three hours to record the full drama.

Post 3 – Pre-Production (16/02/2018)

This week we had another team meeting at the beginning of the week to discus and finalise the script. During this meeting my focus was to ensure that technically everything was achievable in terms of the recording and editing process. I also heavily focused on how the script would sound when recorded as apposing to on a script. On the whole the script was ok but there were a few small changes to the script, not in terms of copy, but in terms of the sound.

On Friday morning we had the opportunity to record a few test scenes in the studio. This was a very important test for me as studio manager so that I could find they best ways to record out three scenes. I wanted to find the best way to record the coffin scenes and café scenes. For the coffin scene we experimented with different mic and acoustic setups. After testing mono and stereo mic setups in a voice over booth and using baffle boards I agreed with the best sound with the director.

Next, we experimented with the café scene which was simple to setup although we did realise that we would need props and extras for this scene. Technically I was happy with the setup and recording process, I also realised the importance of a clear labelling system for the audio recorded. It was a great chance to uses the studio and different microphones in a way that I have never have before.

For next week clear communication between the actors and the director is essential and something that needs to be clearly established form the outset. I need to work with the production manager and director to agree on a clear shoot schedule. I will also need to source props for next week and also gather sfx that we will not be able to create in the studio.

Post 4 – Recording (23/02/2018)

 

Post 5 – Editing (02/03/2018)

 

Post 6 – Editing (09/03/2018)

 

Post 7 – Delivery (16/03/2018)

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

University of Westminster
309 Regent Street, London W1B 2UW
General enquiries: +44 (0)20 7911 5000
Course enquiries: +44 (0)20 7915 5511