PRODUCTION WEEK 1

 

This week was where we began the pre-production process for our radio drama. Prior to this, my group assigned the roles and chose the play (as I was ill). I was originally given the role as producer, however as our group decreased by one person we all picked up the role as script editor. Therefore this week, my group really had to spend time reading through the script. This was so we was able to get to grips with the script and also brainstorm ideas for the production.

 

While reading through the script we felt as if it needed more stage ques and notes for the actors. This is mainly because we needed to get across how emotiv the drama is, and we didn’t feel the original script did this. So as a group we read through the scripts, and then I noted down all the possible changes. The way we done this was Billy and Pulama would read the script and I would note any changes that would work better. And we would discuss it scene by scene. One of the main thing we was wary of was, how to actors will portray the relationships with each other. Therefore we adjusted the script to make it more clear.

 

PRODUCTION WEEK 2

 

Following last week, we spent this week going through the script and make our final amendments with the notes from last week.

 

However this week the main focus was from an actual production point of view. So for example; where we will record each part, how we will create certain sounds and finally any creative production ideas. When choosing where we are recording, we had to take into consideration the acoustics of each room and how it will effect the sound of the production. For example we are going to record the car scene in the booth, to get a clean recording so we can build up the car atmosphere in post production. From doing this we also felt like we should split the final scene into two, so we can record it in two different locations.

 

We also wanted to find parts in the script that we could bring a creative flair. This was to really bring the script to life. For example, I suggested the idea of having Anna zone out, especially in therapy sessions. Pulama suggested a good way of doing it is to use a high pitched tinnitus noise.

 

Then following this we could decide what we are going to do in the recording and in post production. This was very important as we had to create a list of props that we would bring in on the day of recording.

 

From this week’s work we produced a secondary script which is a production one. This was for us to follow on the day of recording and when editing. In addition to this we created a production schedule for the day of recording. As we are limited to time we had to really ensure we plan out our timing correctly. Rather that splitting each scene of equal time we had to really think about which scene had more complex ideas etc so we could accommodate accordingly.

 

PRODUCTION WEEK 3

 

This week was the week of recording. Prior to Friday I had to source a lot of the props for the production and bring them in. Therefore I gathered these together for the recording. We also had to prep the scripts to make it easier for the actors to read. So as a group we shared the workload to highlight lines for each actor. This was important it it helped keep a smooth performance from the actors, which is vital when we have limited time.

 

On the day of recording me and Pulama decided to swap roles. As Pulama has a lot of creative ideas etc, so I felt she would be a little more suited to helping Billy with direction and setting up the mics. Therefore I tech opp’d the recording. My main focus for this was to ensure that the recording levels we’re right especially in parts of the scripts where the actors were shouting. Another important part of the recording process was ensuring the mic was central as the left and right channel was recorded of separate channels. Therefore if the mic wasn’t central this would be obvious when listening back.

 

While recording also wanted to find ways to help the post production process. For example recording and exporting each scene separate rather than one long file. Or using markers to mark each take. This really helped when it came to editing.

 

PRODUCTION WEEK 4

 

Now that the production was completely recorded, we had to edit it. Billy and Pulama took a lead role in choosing which takes sounded better. Then I took these takes home in order to edit them.

 

I edited scenes 1, 2 and 3. While editing these my main focus was to build up the atmosphere of the room for each scene. So that we can really imagine the setting, rather than it just sounding like dialogue. Although there were many royalty free sound effects on sites like free sound and the BBC archive, I didn’t feel that they all suited the production. Therefore I recorded some extra sounds, and used these instead.

 

After editing these scenes I brought them into university for Pulama, Billy and Jeremy to hear to get their feedback. I felt like it was important to hear different views on the production to get the best possible audio. From this feedback the scenes needed some minor tweaking. For example in the car scene, sounded like one straight drive. Therefore I needed to add in gear changes etc, for the car to sound like it is driving around a town centre rather than a motorway. For scene 1 Pulama made these adjustments, and I made the adjustments for scene 2 and 3.

 

PRODUCTION WEEK 5

 

Now that the production was fully edited and put together by the team. The final thing to do was the paperwork. Therefore I filled out the music report, presentation details and programme description.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

University of Westminster
309 Regent Street, London W1B 2UW
General enquiries: +44 (0)20 7911 5000
Course enquiries: +44 (0)20 7915 5511