Week One: During our three meetings prior to this writing first blog post, we’ve come by leaps and bounds. We decided on the “New Music” genre with a specific focus on Urban music and did this by a process of naming our first/second choices. We decided upon Urban music as both Kaylee and Phoebe know the genre very well. Then, we decided our roles by saying what we’d prefer and luckily everyone got the role they wanted. Kate and I are going to be in charge of doing the news and we’ll also help out with creating our social media accounts. Following this meeting, we decided upon ‘Refresh London’ as our station’s name and our show to be called ‘The after breakfast show’, as this is the “real” time students (the majority of our target audience) tend to wake up (11am-1pm). Phoebe, Billy, Kaylee and Holly, all suggested and played songs and artists which we could potentially play on our station. By the end of our second meeting, we allocated actions for people to get done before our next meeting.

Week Two: During this meeting, we all had separate meetings with Pulama as to have we can be extra productive in our roles. I have been given the task to jazz up our social media, by editing and adding our logo/ bios for each site. Furthermore, we also spent the day with Charles refreshing ourselves with Burli.  Kate and I decided that our bulletin should be roughly 3 to 3.5 minutes long. We did a couple of practice runs and learnt that we need to ensure that we effectively assess what stories are relevant to our audiences and that our stories aren’t too long. We were very good at making sure that our news programmes were to the correct times.

Week Three: During this week we spent more time fully fleshing out our roles. I made a diagram for Kate and I, to look at whilst we are establishing which new stories our audience would be most interested in. While I was doing this Kate found the perfect bed for her to read the news out to during the show. Kate and I also decided that I would be the editor and she would present the news. As we didn’t have too much to do after our discussions, I helped Holly with creating our clock which was quite fun. During this week we also had two productive meetings with Matthew. We realised that one of our main priorities was to sort out our imaging in time for our pilot, as we came to a group decision that the voice we had recorded was not appropriate.

Week Four: We started this week by doing a pilot of our pilot show. Kate and I got in extra early to start the news so it was edited, practised and fully prepared for us to start the show at 10:30 am. As the editor I learned that Kate preferred it when complicated names were spelt out phonetically and numbers were written as words and not figures, so I made sure that whilst editing our bulletins that it was how she liked it. We had all of our stories ready by 9:40, including a couple of clips and a wrap and the first show went successfully. During this time the news about Harry and Meghan broke so we had to fix this in our next bulletin. We quickly assessed the stories for the next hour and produced another good bulletin.

Week Five: This week we had our live show and it was successful. Kate and I got in early to get stuck in with the news and took on all the comments that we got last week. We ensured that our stories were more of a ‘newsbeat’ style, that the script was a bit more chatty and included some ‘on the scene’ clips.  We started by writing up plenty of stories from the day to use if we had some extra time to fill and there were no super new stories. All three of our bulletins went very well. We overcame a few issues successfully, Kate couldn’t hear the beds the first time and issues with the new idents. I also helped out with the social media byt taking pictures on instagram and using our insta stories.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

University of Westminster
309 Regent Street, London W1B 2UW
General enquiries: +44 (0)20 7911 5000
Course enquiries: +44 (0)20 7915 5511