Currently, if a UK DJ wants to work in a non-EU country, they’ll need a work permit, responsibility for which lies with the promoters of the country abroad. However, it is the artist’s (or agent’s) responsibility to arrange a visas. Some countries require work visas, others a certificate of eligibility, and most will require copies of the contract of work. Agents in the UK would need to check with the relevant embassy to ensure the relevant paperwork is filed correctly and in a timely manner. Also, work permits tend to be issued for a specific job with a specific employer, so if an agent is arranging a tour across a number of countries, then the process becomes even more involved.

So what does this all mean for DJs? If or when free movement of people ends in Europe for UK citizens, then as things currently stand, playing gigs in Europe will become much more complicated, expensive, and more time-consuming to arrange. The journeys will become more difficult, there will be more and longer border checks.


CUE: “Now, DJs can be working in several different European countries over the course of a few days, on tour or freelancing, for different lengths of time. But, how will Brexit effects this in years to come? Our Reporter Piers Carter is on a mission to find out more…” 

IN: *Newsbeat Jingle 

OUT: “Djing just got a whole lot less glamours.” 


DUR: 3:24

Find out more on how Brexit will effect the DJ industry here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

University of Westminster
309 Regent Street, London W1B 2UW
General enquiries: +44 (0)20 7911 5000
Course enquiries: +44 (0)20 7915 5511